Thursday, January 6, 2011

Photograph Review - Brown Pelican

This is a photograph from an artist who sells on ETSY.com.  Her shop name is Eyeshuttertothink.  Great name for photography, eh?  I asked her if I could feature one of her photos here because I admire her work.  It is quite diverse in subject and style. (http://eyeshuttertothink.etsy.com/) I had another shot in mind as I started to write; but as I was looking for it, this one caught my eye; and looking at it brought tears to my eyes.  So this is the one!  It is called Brown Pelican.

Why tears?  Isn't that what art is about - feelings evoked by images?  I don't know why; it isn't a sad picture.  I think it is the beauty, wisdom, solitary condition, .... don't know for sure but he is beautiful and striking.  You will soon find a comment below from the photographer herself about her views on the photo. 

Please share your views, too.

Brown Pelican is reproduced with permission of the artist.  All rights are reserved.  Do not copy.

1 comment:

Eye Shutter to Think said...

It's so kind of you to feature this photo on your blog. I am flattered :) Thank you very much.

This particular photo holds alot of meaning to me. I took it at the Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary in Indian Shores Florida. The sanctuary is the largest wild bird hospital in the U.S. based on the admission of over 8,000 injured birds each year.

I happened to visit right after the BP oil spill & found the place full of oil covered birds that needed cleaning. They were working overtime to take care of these birds & it really brought tears to my eyes to see how the spill was affecting Florida wildlife. This particular guy had just been cleaned & he had quite a shine to him. I love the colors in his features.

It's sad, because the sanctuary has been around a long time, yet I hadn't even heard about it until a disaster happened. It definitely opened my eyes to all the wonderful organizations that exist in my state that do this sort of work YEAR ROUND.