Wednesday, August 6, 2008

In Favor of Open Adoption

This is off topic for this blog, but I am inspired to add it. Adoption is on my mind because I have friends who are praying for a child to adopt. Our children are adopted (as infants) and we have an open adoption. Here's why I am in favor of open adoptions:

It gave me confidence I was not leaving a heart broken young woman behind, I know she knew what she was doing and felt it was intended and best.

I have an image and memory of her to love. Birth mothers give the greatest gift of life.

I have pictures to show my children at the right time.

I feel the birth parents are confident of their choice because they got to know us.

Someday we can comfortably get back together to let each party know the other. I want to do this at the right time - middle school, perhaps.

Surprisingly to me, my sons began asking "where did I come from" questions at just over 4. At nearly 5, they already know they are adopted, have a birth mother, that they "came from her tummy", and will meet her someday.

I believe having an open adoption helped me be relaxed and natural about answering their questions. We don't have secrets to keep.

If you are considering giving a child in adoption, or adopting, please consider open adoption. Birth mothers, you are givers of life in the largest way. Thank you for sacrificing for your child and other parents.

No comments: